In order to continue maximized efficiency and preparing for the future, Online Tech decided to upgrade their UPS systems at their Mid-Michigan Data Center location in May 2011.
This was a very monumental task by all parties. Over 90,000 pounds of equipment needed to be moved over a raised floor. Also, getting the right team assembled (electricians, riggers, generator maintenance, battery maintenance resources) to get the job done effectively, and above all else having to maintain 100% uptime throughout the entire process for our customers.
Online Tech was up to the challenge. Eight employees and multiple contractors were assigned to the task. More than two weeks of work was accomplished in a little over 3 days!
That doesn't mean that they rushed through the whole process! Online Tech was able to accomplish all of these tasks the following ways:
- Held a series of face to face interviews with all parties involved to determine the level of expertise and the best fit for the task at hand.
- Took every precaution into maintenance and testing every system it could to identify any potential problems.
- Performing a test run of the switch to generator power before the actual process began.
- Setting up generators to run during the entire process with all backup components in effect.
- Fully load tested the UPS units and thermal scanned to check for heat buildup after the installation process was complete.
The following companies were involved in the upgrade process:
Feyen Zylstra - Electricians
Technical Commodities Relocators - Riggers
GenPower - Generator Maintenance
Interstate PowerCare - Battery Maintenance Resources
View photos of the upgrade on Flickr.